EMPOWERING ETHIOPIAN COMMUNITIES
Holistic, community-led development.
Imagine a world without extreme poverty. A world where everyone has access to clean water, quality education, economic opportunity and adequate healthcare. And a world where development and change is led by communities themselves.
That is the world WEEMA envisions.
WHAT WE DO
Our mission is to empower Ethiopian communities through clean water access, education, economic opportunity and health care – all driven by local leadership and community collaboration.
- 1,000 women in self help groups
- 70 beekeepers trained in modern techniques
- 58 potters trained to make clean cookstoves
- 60,000 people with clean water
- Constructed 24 miles of new pipeline
- Built 19 new water points
- Repaired 3 old systems
- Replaced 2 water pumps
- 1,000 people cured from cataract blindness
- 39 solar lights installed in delivery rooms
- 36 health workers taught Essential Newborn Care
- 5 women trained at Hamlin College of Midwives